This is a photo taken of the ingredients of Colgate’s latest ‘whitening’ toothpaste. Apart from a bunch of other useless ‘nasties’ they include, please notice that Colgate has put Phosphoric acid into it. OH MY GOD, they could not have put a worse thing into Optic White. Why? Because phosphoric acid is the ‘food equivalent’ of Hitler’s Nazi Germany! It is a brutal killer of tooth enamel. I kid you not.
Dentists use phosphoric acid in their surgeries as an etching acid that, and get this…..completely obliterates tooth enamel in seconds! Yes, that’s right…in seconds. This is part of the clinical technique known as ‘bonding’ used for veneers (and some crowns), and in this very particular circumstance, phosphoric acid is simply THE best acid to use – because of its virtually instantaneous and immensely destructive effect.
So, why on earth would Colgate include it in their toothpaste – knowing that you will rub it into your teeth twice a day every day for years – when they must surely also know how wicked this acid is? The answer is…Colgate puts it in their toothpaste for the same reason Coca Cola puts it in ALL their colas (including their sugar fee versions), Pepsi Cola also puts it in ALL their colas (again, also the sugar free versions), Kirks Drinks also uses it in their colas…..as does every generic brand of cola, such as Coles and Woolworths etc, that I have investigated to date. Oh, Dr Pepper has it too……and so do some pre-mixed bourbon and colas. Have a look at the ingredients listed on the can (or bottle) and you will see a ‘food acid’ called E338. That IS phosphoric acid.
Why do they use it? For one reason, and one reason only……taste. I refuse to buy or drink these drinks anymore because of phosphoric acid they contain – knowing that drinking it will help to quickly obliterate my teeth – but I remember that colas have an initial ‘lemony’ (or citric) taste. THAT is the taste of phosphoric acid. Welcome to the horrible world of the Gestapo of Gastronomy!
My best advice to you is…stay away from Optic White completely. And keep your kids and/or grandkids away from it too. Buy any other toothpaste other than this one. As for drinking Coke etc……absolute moderation is the key. No more than one or two small drinks a month (IF you really have to)….and ALWAYS rinse your mouth out with water immediately after cola consumption. And the same goes for your kids – teach them this healthy habit, and, when they’re old enough, explain to them why.
And one other thing you must know……NEVER drink any cola if you have a dry mouth, such as immediately after sport. Allowing this insidious acid to dry on your teeth is tooth enamel suicide. And again…I kid you NOT!
Good luck…and please blog or email if you want further information.